- Veteran/Burial Assistance
Burial Fund AssistanceIf your friend or loved one was a veteran, there may be burial funds available. Please contact Decedent Affairs with Veterans Affairs (VA) at 303-399-8020, ext. 2311 or the Veteran’s Regional Office at 303-914-5990.
If you or the decedent does not have sufficient funds for burial, the next of kin may apply for county disposition through the Arapahoe County Human Services Office by calling 303-636-1591.
Right to Control DispositionPer Colorado State Statute 15-19-106 the right to dispose of remains or unclaimed bodies, a person with the right to control disposition of the last remains are in the following order:
- The decedent if acting through a declaration (i.e. a will or an estate).
- The surviving spouse of the decedent, if not legally separated from the decedent.
- A majority of the surviving adult children of the decedent.
- A majority of the surviving parents or legal guardians of the decedent.
- A majority of the surviving adult siblings of the decedent.
- Any person who is willing to assume legal and financial responsibility for the final disposition of the decedent’s last remains.