- Open Spaces
- Our Work
- Grant and Shareback Programs
Grant and Shareback Programs
Arapahoe County Open Spaces oversees funds generated by the voter-approved, quarter cent Arapahoe County Open Space Sales and Use Tax. Revenues from the tax support the County’s efforts in acquiring open space, building and maintaining parks and trails, managing designated heritage areas, and more. Additionally, over half of the revenues from the tax directly support our community partners—cities, towns, and recreation districts—through the County’s Grant and Shareback programs.
Since 2005, Arapahoe County Open Spaces has distributed more than $53 million in competitive grants to communities across the County. These funds have supported nearly 266 park, trail, and open space projects, including:
- New park and trail construction
- Playground and athletic field/court renovations
- Park amenities, such as restrooms and picnic shelters
- Land acquisition for parks and trailheads
- Improved trail crossings at roads and waterways
- Wayfinding and educational signage
- Safety and accessibility improvements
- Stream and habitat restoration
- Planning, design, and engineering for park and trail projects
View a list of recent grant recipients
Municipalities, recreation districts, and eligible special districts within Arapahoe County can learn more about grant opportunities.
Arapahoe County has the largest shareback program in the State of Colorado, wherein 50% of revenues from the Arapahoe County Open Space Sales and Use Tax are distributed to participating cities and towns within the County based on population.
In 2022, the County distributed $19 million through the shareback program thanks to Arapahoe County taxpayers. Municipalities use these funds to invest in local parks, trails, and open spaces for all residents to enjoy.
Twelve municipalities participate in our shareback program: Aurora, Bennett, Centennial, Cherry Hills Village, Columbine Valley, Deer Trail, Englewood, Foxfield, Glendale, Greenwood Village, Littleton, and Sheridan.