File a Complaint Involving Child and Adult Protection Services
Positive customer service is our priority and that includes promptly and thoroughly addressing a complaint. Please follow the steps below to file a complaint involving the Arapahoe County Department of Human Services Child and Adult Protection Services Division.
As indicated in the Colorado Department of Human Services’ Volume VII Manual, each county must attempt to resolve complaints within their department before utilizing the state grievance process.
Complaint Process Steps
Please note: These steps must be followed in order to ensure that any concerns are addressed appropriately and in accordance with regulations. If the steps are not followed, we will need to direct you back to the appropriate level for resolution.
- Talk with your caseworker directly regarding your concern and attempt to resolve the conflict.
- If you feel as though your concern has not been resolved, please contact your caseworker’s supervisor and request a meeting with both the caseworker and the supervisor to discuss the concerns and find resolution.
- If you believe the meeting between the supervisor and caseworker was not helpful in resolving your concerns, please call 303-636-1589 and request the name of your caseworker’s administrator and request a meeting with the administrator, supervisor and caseworker to discuss the concerns.
- If you believe that this final meeting was not helpful in resolving the concerns you have, please contact Kimberly Kingston at 303-636-1961and she will connect you with the section manager or division manger to attempt to resolve your concerns.
- If the section manager or division manager’s response does not resolve your concerns, please write to the address below. Please outline your remaining concerns along with any remedies you believe would be helpful. Within 20 days, an independent examination will be conducted and you will be contact regarding the findings.
Cheryl Ternes, Human Services Director
14980 E. Alameda Dr. Suite 007
Aurora, Colorado 80012
If after steps 1-5 have been taken and you still believe your concerns were not addressed, you may contact the Ombudsman to ask for a further assistance. Please visit https://coloradocpo.org/ for more information.
If you have completed these steps and still believe your concerns were not addressed, you may send your written complaint to the Director, Cheryl Ternes, outlining your remaining concerns and request a Citizen Review hearing. Ms. Ternes will determine if your case is appropriate to refer to the Citizen’s Review Panel, a five member panel of community members appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. The Citizen Review Panel may make recommendations to Human Services as a part of the conflict resolution process.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Each step must be followed in order to move to the next level. If you immediately request a Citizen Review hearing, you will be instructed to follow steps 1-6 before a Citizen Review hearing can be consider. Thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to working with you to resolve your concerns.
Thank you for your cooperation. We look forward to working with you to resolve your concerns.