- Clerk and Recorder
- Motor Vehicle Services
- Motor Vehicle Registration
Motor Vehicle Registration
New Vehicle Registration
Skip the trip! Use the following links to complete your First-Time Vehicle registration online. Your documents and/or license plates will be mailed to you.
- Review registration and emissions requirements and then go to
- Register a Vehicle and Get License Plates
- Apply for an Out-of-State Emissions Extension
- Apply for an Emissions Waiver
- Get an Estimate of Registration Fees
If you are not eligible to register your new vehicle online, see the Appointments section below to schedule an in-person visit.
Renew Your Vehicle Registration
- There are five convenient ways to Renew your Vehicle Registration.
Other Vehicle Services
Don't see the service you're looking for? Visit the Motor Vehicle Services page for a full list.
Make an Appointment
In-person hours of service are available by appointment only and can be made for all our branches (Littleton, Centennial, Aurora, and Byers). In-person services are unavailable to those without an appointment.
Appointments are available Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. and can be made for:
- First-time motor vehicle registration
- License plates
- Motor vehicle titles
Note that we do not accept appointments for Registration Renewals. Please visit Renew Your Vehicle Registration for more info.
- No Driver’s License services are available. Customers can visit a state office for this service.
- Customers will be limited to 2 transactions (2 vehicles) per appointment time slot.
- In-person visits are limited to two people maximum per appointment (children excepted)
- The Byers branch does not have Dealer Appointments available. Dealers can make an appointment at another office to drop off, or mail their documents in to Littleton.
When to Register a Vehicle
All residents must register their vehicles within 60 days of purchase, and/or within 90 days after becoming a resident of Colorado.
If you have financed a vehicle through a lender/bank or dealership, please allow up to 60 days after purchase before coming in to register the vehicle. This time is required for the dealer and the County to process your title documents. We will send a courtesy Title Complete postcard when your vehicle can be registered. Please contact us at 303-795-4500 if you have not received the Title Complete Card within 55 days.
Where to Register a Vehicle
You must register your vehicle in the county where you reside. If you do not reside in Arapahoe County, see DMV locations in other counties. If you do not know what county you live in, please use our Address Lookup.
Initial registrations must be done in-person at a county motor vehicle office. At least one named owner is required to be present to register a vehicle. If the owner is not available, then someone else may register the vehicle on their behalf with a signed and notarized Power of Attorney form.
There are five convenient ways to renew your annual registration.
What to Bring
Every transaction to register a vehicle varies. Please call us at 303-795-4500 or visit www.colorado.gov/dmv to learn what you will need to bring.
Learn what to bring if you are a new resident to Colorado.
Taxes and Fees
The cost to register vehicles in the State of Colorado is based on age of the vehicle, weight, taxable value, purchase date, and type of license plate requested.
- Use our Registration Fee Estimate Calculator to estimate license fees and ownership taxes fees for a newly purchased vehicle (not for renewals)
- See a list of applicable Motor Vehicle Taxes and Fees
- See Payment Options in Arapahoe County
- How much will it cost to register my vehicle?
Please use our Vehicle Fee Estimate Calculator to determine an estimate of your registration fees. This tool works for first-time registrations only and includes ownership taxes and license fees. It will not include sales tax and is not able to estimate fees for a renewal.
Have the MSRP available in order to correctly calculate the estimated fees.
Note: Fees are based on the original MSRP and not the purchase price.
- How do I find the MSRP of my vehicle?
The MSRP will be provided in the title documents submitted by the selling dealership. If you do not have the original documents you should contact the selling dealer to obtain the MSRP for your vehicle. Arapahoe County cannot provide the MSRP for your vehicle.
- Do I need an emission test to register/renew my vehicle?
Colorado has established vehicle emissions testing programs to protect our air quality. Your vehicle registration renewal postcard will indicate if your vehicle is due for an emissions test.
Gas vehicles less than 7 model years old are exempt from emission testing. Diesel vehicles under 26,000 GVWR and less than 4 model years old are exempt from emission testing. Diesel vehicles 26,000 GVWR or more and 6 model years old or less are exempt from emission testing.
Please visit https://aircarecolorado.com for more information.
- My temporary tags will be expire soon. Can I come in and get license plates?
If you financed a vehicle through a dealer/lender, your title paperwork must be completed by the dealership and County. This process takes up to 60 days. If it has been less than 55 days since your temporary tags were issued, please wait to receive a Title Complete postcard in the mail.
Once you receive this postcard, you can then make an appointment at any Arapahoe County branch office to register your vehicle. See payment options and what to bring to your appointment on our Motor Vehicle registration page.
You can check to see whether your title documents have been completed at mydmv.colorado.gov. Once your title documents are complete, make a title completion appointment at any Arapahoe County Motor Vehicle office. If your temporary tags will expire before your title documents are complete, please contact your dealership for a temp tag extension.
- I purchased a vehicle or moved my vehicle from another state. What do I need to do to register my vehicle?
For first-time registration in Colorado, you must make an appointment and bring your documentation to an Arapahoe County motor vehicle office.
Make an appointment and view the documentation requirements for out-of-state vehicles.
- Do I have to bring proof of insurance to register, renew or obtain a temporary registration?
Yes. Valid and current proof of auto insurance is required to register a vehicle in Colorado. Colorado has a minimum requirement of $25,000/$50,000 for insurance and liability coverage, and a $15,000 minimum for property damage.
We accept the following as proof of insurance:
- Valid insurance card
- Declaration page
- Letter from your insurance company on their letter head
- Electronic proof of insurance via a cell phone, computer or other electronic device
- Fax can be accepted during your appointment if needed
- I renewed my vehicle registration online but did not receive my tabs in the mail. Can I get replacement tabs?
Yes, please visit mydmv.colorado.gov. If you recently moved and did not update your address with your county motor vehicle office, it’s likely the tabs were mailed to your previous address. Please verify you have updated your address prior to processing the tab replacement. Material fees will apply for the tab replacement.
- My registration receipt, validating stickers (tabs) and/or license plates were lost or stolen. What do I do?
For lost tabs/plates, please visit mydmv.colorado.gov for replacements.
If your plates have been stolen, please fill out the Lost/Stolen License Plate Affidavit.
You will need to fill out the form then mail it to our office along with the police report and a check or money order made out to “Arapahoe County Clerk and Recorder-Motor Vehicle” for the amount of $13.73. Please note: this fee if for regular passenger plates only. If you have a different type of plate, please call 303-795-4500 for additional information.
Our Mailing Address is:
Arapahoe County Clerk and Recorder’s Office
P.O. Box 9006
Littleton, CO 80160-9011
- I just moved to Arapahoe County. How can I change my address on my motor vehicle registration?
If you have moved into Arapahoe County, please update your address online at mydmv.colorado.gov. Once that is completed you can receive registration information at your new address by mail.
Please use these additional links to change your address on your Colorado Driver’s License or ID card, and your Voter Registration.
- I just moved out of Arapahoe County. Do I still need to renew my vehicle in Arapahoe County?
No. Please contact the county where you now reside. See this list of Colorado counties.
- Can I get a credit for registration fees already paid when I sell my vehicle and register a new one?
Please bring the bill of sale or invoice to your appointment to determine if a credit can be applied to your new registration.
- Can I obtain a temporary registration instead of renewing a registration for a vehicle that I intend to sell?
No. You must renew your current registration.
- How do I apply for a Persons with Disabilities parking placard or license plate?
Please see the State DMV’s website for requirements and more information at https://dmv.colorado.gov/persons-disabilities.
- Can I renew my registration over the phone?
We do not process motor vehicle renewals over the phone.
- Can I renew my registration online?
Yes! You may renew your motor vehicle registration online at http://mydmv.colorado.gov. You will receive your printed registration and tabs in the mail in about 2 weeks from the State’s printing facility.
- What forms of payment are accepted?
Payment options for Registration and Titles:
Our Motor Vehicle offices accept cash, checks, money orders and debit and credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover). Checks must be payable to "Arapahoe County Clerk – Motor Vehicle" for the exact amount. We do not accept checks under $10.
Please note that credit and debit card transactions over $10 are subject to a convenience fee of $0.75 + 2.25% of the total amount. This fee is not assessed or retained by Arapahoe County. It is required by a third-party vendor for the State of Colorado.
- How can I send in my registration renewal?
If you would like to mail in your renewal, please mail to:
Arapahoe County Clerk and Recorder
P.O. Box 9011
Littleton, CO 80160-9011.
Please make sure to write your license plate number in the memo line of your check/money order. We also have Drop Boxes at all four Motor Vehicle locations you may utilize to drop off your renewal.
- How much did I pay in ownership tax?
Your registration receipt shows the amount you paid in Specific Ownership and Prior Specific Ownership Tax. Make sure to retain a copy of your registration receipt for income tax purposes.
- What is the sales tax rate for my address?
To see your sales tax rate, please enter your residential address at https://colorado.ttr.services/
- How do I obtain a Certificate of Title for a vehicle I purchased if there is no Certificate of Title in existence?
Please contact our office for details at 303-795-4500.
- I am unable to locate my Colorado Certificate of Title. How do I obtain a duplicate title?
Please visit any motor vehicle office location to apply for a duplicate title You can also request a duplicate title online at mydmv.colorado.gov.
If you are coming to one of our offices please go to make your appointment online for a list of documents you must bring with you to your appointment.
For additional information, please call us at 303-795-4500.
- I am unable to locate my Certificate of Title that was issued in another state. What do I do?
Please contact the state of issuance for assistance.