Motor Vehicle Registration
COVID-19 Service Update
In-person hours of service are available by appointment only and can be made for all our branches (Littleton, Centennial, Aurora, and Byers). Due to COVID restrictions, we are unable to provide in-person services to those without an appointment.
Appointments are available Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. and can be made online for:
- First-time motor vehicle registration, license plates and motor vehicle titles
Make an Appointment
Before making an appointment, please note:
- Beginning Nov. 30, we are no longer accepting new appointments for registration renewals. (Existing appointments will be honored.) Please renew your registration at a kiosk, online, by mail, or at a drop box.
- No driver’s license appointments at this time. Customers will need to visit a state office for this service.
- Customers will be limited to 2 transactions (2 vehicles) per appointment time slot.
- In-person visits are limited to two people maximum per appointment.
- Cloth face coverings or masks are required.
- The Byers branch does not have Dealer Appointments available. Dealers can make an appointment at another office to drop off, or mail their documents in to Littleton.
To better serve our customers, the Motor Vehicle phone line is open Monday - Friday from 7:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Members of the public can reach the Motor Vehicle division by calling 303-795-4500 and following the prompts for Motor Vehicle.
You may also fill out and submit the Motor Vehicle and License Assistance Form and we’ll respond to you as soon as possible. Note that we are unable to take requests for appointments via this form. Please make an appointment through the Make an Appointment tool above.
For Customers Who Have Recently Purchased a Vehicle
Outlined below are some helpful documents to assist you in completing your transactions. If you have questions about these documents, please either fill out the MV Assistance Form above, or call us at 303-795-4500, Monday through Friday.
Complete Your Transaction Online
Use the following links to complete your transaction online, and skip a trip to our offices. Your documents and/or license plates will be mailed to you.
Need to Register Your Vehicle?
Learn about registration and emissions requirements and then go online to:
- Register a Vehicle and Get License Plates
- Check a Title Status for a New Vehicle
- Apply for an Out-of-State Emissions Extension
- Get An Estimate of Registration Fees
Vehicle Already Registered?
- Add or Change My Vehicle Address
- Renew Vehicle Registration
- Request to Replace Tabs
- Request a Duplicate Registration Card
- Request a Duplicate Title
- Request a Duplicate Receipt
- Apply for an Emissions Waiver
- Request Personalized License Plates
Person with Disability Services
When to Register a Vehicle
All residents must register their vehicles within 60 days of purchase, and/or within 90 days after becoming a resident of Colorado.
If you have financed a vehicle through a lender/bank or dealership, please allow up to 60 days after purchase before coming in to register the vehicle. This time is required for the dealer and the County to process your title documents. We will send a courtesy Title Complete postcard when your vehicle can be registered. Please contact us at 303-795-4500 if you have not received the Title Complete Card within 55 days.
Where to Register a Vehicle
You must register your vehicle in the county where you reside. If you do not reside in Arapahoe County, see DMV locations in other counties. If you do not know what county you live in, please use our Address Lookup.
Initial registrations must be done in-person at a county motor vehicle office. At least one named owner is required to be present to register a vehicle. If the owner is not available, then someone else may register the vehicle on their behalf with a signed and notarized Power of Attorney form.
Annual renewals may be done in-person, by mail, online or using our drop-off boxes at any branch. A named owner does not need to be present to renew. We send a courtesy renewal notice in the mail to customers; however, timely renewal of your registration is your responsibility.
What to Bring
- Secure and Verifiable Identification
- Proof of Colorado Auto Insurance on vehicle to be registered
- Vehicle Title or "Title Complete Card" for a new registration
- Proof of Emissions, if applicable
- VIN Verification, if applicable
- Form of Payment: Credit Card, Debit Card, Cash, Check or Money Order
- Signed and notarized Power of Attorney Form if the vehicle will be registered by someone who is not a named owner
Taxes and Fees
The cost to register vehicles in the State of Colorado is based on age of the vehicle, weight, taxable value, purchase date, and type of license plate requested.
- How much will it cost to register my vehicle?
- Do I need an emission test to register/renew my vehicle?
- My temporary tags will be expiring soon. Can I come in and get license plates?
- I purchased a vehicle or moved my vehicle from another state. What do I need to register my vehicle?
- Do I have to bring proof of insurance to register, renew or obtain a temporary registration?
- I renewed my vehicle registration online but did not receive my tabs in the mail. Can I get replacement tabs?
- My registration receipt, validating stickers (tabs) and/or license plates were lost or stolen. What do I do?
- I just moved to Arapahoe County or within Arapahoe County. How can I change my address on my motor vehicle registration?
- Can I get a credit for registration fees already paid when I sell my vehicle and register a new one?
- Can I obtain a temporary registration instead of renewing a registration for a vehicle that I intend to sell?
- I just moved out of Arapahoe County. Do I still need to renew my vehicle in Arapahoe County?
- I just purchased a new car from a dealership and it is financed. What do I do now?
- How do I apply for a Persons with Disabilities parking placard or license plate?
- Can I renew my registration over the phone?
- Can I renew my registration online?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- How much did I pay in ownership tax?
- What is the sales tax rate for my address?
- How do I determine the MSRP of my vehicle?
- How do I obtain a Certificate of Title for a vehicle I purchased if there is no Certificate of Title in existence?
- I am unable to locate my Colorado Certificate of Title. How do I obtain a duplicate title?
- I am unable to locate my Certificate of Title that was issued in a different state.
- Where should I mail my registration renewal?
Renew at a Kiosk
|Skip the wait at the DMV and renew your vehicle registration at any one of 27 fast, easy kiosks around Colorado! You'll walk away with your tabs in minutes. Now available in some King Soopers stores, 5 a.m. to midnight!
| Renew License Plates Online
|Skip a trip to the DMV and renew your vehicle registration online! Your registration and tabs will arrive by mail. The online convenience fee is $1 to pay by check or 2.7% to pay by credit/debit card. Renew Online!|
|Buying a car? Get a fee estimate for vehicle registration using our easy online calculator. We do not provide estimates over the phone. Get Estimate!|