New Resident Registration
New to Colorado?
If you have recently moved to Arapahoe County from another state, you must register your vehicle within 90 days from establishing Colorado residency. For information about where to register outside Arapahoe County, visit the State of Colorado DMV website.
Colorado residency is established when you meet on of the following:
- You have obtained employment in Colorado
- You own or operate a business in Colorado
- You have resided in Colorado continuously for 90 days
Registration checklist for out of state vehicles - Printable Checklist
You must come in person for a first-time registration in Colorado. To shorten your wait and expedite service at the counter, please come prepared with the following documentation:
- Valid identification
- One of the following three types of documents:
Vehicle title in your name; or an original out-of-state registration no more than six months expired; or a vehicle record history on state letterhead from previous state of residence.
- Emissions test.
New residents must show proof of a passing Colorado vehicle emissions test. Vehicles that are 7 model years old or newer are exempt from emissions requirements. For emissions testing locations visit Air Care Colorado.
- Proof of automobile insurance coverage.
Insurance card, copy of insurance policy or letter from your insurance company on the company’s letterhead including a description of the vehicle with the following information: year, make, model, vehicle identification number (VIN),effective date and expiration date of the policy. New residents to the State of Colorado must have a complying insurance policy on their vehicle pursuant to C.R.S. 42-3-105(1)(d) before the vehicle can be registered in Colorado. Out of state insurance policies are not accepted.
- Vehicle identification number (VIN) verification. A VIN Verification is required if the seller has an out-of-state title or the vehicle is purchased outside Colorado. A VIN Inspector must complete form DR 2698 from Colorado Department of Revenue.
We accept cash, checks, certified checks, credit/debit cards, and money orders.
Expect your new Colorado title in the mail within 4-5 weeks after registration.