I-70/Airpark-Watkins Interchange Study
The issue – why a study is needed
Interchanges at I-70/Airpark and I-70/Watkins Road were originally designed to serve the rural surrounding area. The area is now growing with a number of new developments are planned and approved in Arapahoe and Adams County. To accommodate increasing traffic needs, the interchanges will require improvements.
Arapahoe County is leading a transportation study to evaluate and develop recommended interim and ultimate improvements at each interchange. Interim improvements would be constructed within the next several years to provide adequate traffic operations as the area continues to grow. Eventually, further development will trigger the need for more substantial improvements to the I-70/Airpark and I-70/Watkins Road interchanges. For those ultimate improvements, this study is the first step in the process. Once the ultimate improvements are recommended by this study and funding is identified, a subsequent environmental study (including public involvement) will occur. The project would then move to the design phase prior to construction.
- Forge partnerships with key agency stakeholders to identify and leverage funding
- Develop and analyze reasonable and feasible interim and ultimate interchange improvements
- Conduct an environmental clearance for the recommended interim improvements
- Prepare preliminary design and estimate cost of the interim improvements
- Satisfy the requirements of the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) interchange approval process and obtain CDOT and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) approval of a recommended interim improvements
- Identify conditions that would trigger improvements leading to the ultimate interchange construction
- November 2019: Evaluate existing and forecasted conditions
- Spring/Summer 2020: Developer agreements
- November 2020: Develop and analyze interim improvement alternatives
- March/April 2021: Develop and analyze ultimate interchange alternatives and a funding plan
- April 2021: Complete preliminary design of interim improvements
- Summer 2021: CDOT and FHWA approvals for interim interchange modification
- April 4, 2019: Introduced the study, highlighted existing conditions and presented potential improvement concepts
Click here for a summary of public comments and here for the meeting materials.
- Spring 2021: Present the interim improvement recommendations and ultimate interchange concept analysis for each interchange
In addition to open house meetings with the public, meetings also will be held with individual stakeholders and small groups as needed throughout the design process. If you would like to invite the project team to speak with you or your group, please contact Leah Langerman, Consultant Public Involvement Coordinator.
Coordination with stakeholder agencies and developers including Adams County, City of Aurora, CDOT, FHWA, Denver Regional Council of Governments, Prosper, and Sky Ranch also will occur.
Join the Mailing List or Submit Comments and Questions
We appreciate your interest in the I-70 at Airpark & Watkins Interchanges Study. Comments are welcome at any time. To submit comments and questions, contact:
Consultant Public Involvement Coordinator
Leah Langerman, David Evans and Associates, Inc.
1600 Broadway, Suite 800, Denver, CO 80202
720-225-4651 | email@example.com