I-70/Airpark-Watkins Interchange Study
Recommended improvements for I-70/Airpark and I-70/Watkins Road interchanges were unveiled during a public meeting on Aug. 25, 2021. You can watch a replay of the of meeting below. Following the meeting the study recommendations were confirmed and did not change from what was presented. The study concluded in October 2021.
Two interchange configurations will be considered during future detailed study for the I-70/Airpark interchange:
One configuration is recommended for the I-70/Watkins Road interchange:
Since improvements may be needed at these two interchanges as soon as 2025, the improvements may be constructed in phases. View the Phase 1 improvements recommended for I-70 Airpark and I-70 Watkins Road.
Why Improvements are Needed
Interchanges at I-70/Airpark and I-70/Watkins Road were originally designed to serve the rural surrounding area. The area is now growing with several new developments that are planned and approved in Arapahoe and Adams counties. To accommodate increasing traffic needs, the interchanges will require improvements.
Arapahoe County led a study in 2019 through 2021 to proactively identify recommended improvements at each interchange to meet travel demands and increased traffic. Improvements at each interchange would likely be constructed in phases to provide adequate traffic operations as the area continues to grow.
Improvements recommended by this initial study will need to be evaluated in a formal environmental clearance process before design and construction can begin. Timing of construction is uncertain since funding for these next steps has not yet been identified. Current projections of area development show initial phases of improvements could be necessary as soon as 2025. Arapahoe County is actively working with local partners to create a funding plan.
- Forge partnerships with key agency stakeholders to identify and leverage funding
- Develop and analyze reasonable and feasible interchange improvements
- Understand right-of-way needs for preservation purposes
- Conduct an initial environmental study of the recommendations
- Prepare preliminary design and identify probable construction costs
- April 4, 2019: Introduced the study, highlighted existing conditions and presented potential improvement concepts. View a summary of public comments and meeting materials.
- August 25, 2021: Present draft recommended improvements and phasing plans at each interchange for public comment prior to finalizing study recommendations.
In addition to the public meetings, coordination also occurred with stakeholder agencies and developers including Adams County, City of Aurora, CDOT, FHWA, Denver Regional Council of Governments, Prosper, and Sky Ranch will also occur.
Join the Mailing List or Submit Comments and Questions
We appreciate your interest in the future of the I-70/Airpark and I-70/Watkins interchanges. Although this study is complete, comments are welcome and will be considered when projects move forward into the next phases of study and design, which will happen once funding is identified. To join the mailing list or submit comments or questions, contact Transportation Manager Jim Katzer - firstname.lastname@example.org - or call 720-874-6837.