Iliff Avenue Corridor Construction Project
The Iliff Avenue corridor construction project is now underway. This $25.64 million project will take 21 months to complete and greatly improve this important two-mile thoroughfare in Arapahoe County between South Parker Road and Quebec Street. Work will begin at South Parker Road and will move west toward Quebec Street. Project completion is anticipated late Spring 2023. Concrete Express, Inc. is the contractor for this project.
The Cherry Creek Trail at Iliff Avenue is now open. However, there will be intermittent trail closures due to construction. During these closures, a detour is in place for trail users. The work on the trail is expected to finish this summer. Construction activities include Iliff Avenue Bridge rehabilitation, trail improvements and environmental improvements.
Throughout the corridor project, travelers can expect daytime and nighttime traffic impacts as the project progresses. Intermittent daytime and nighttime lane closures should be expected. Minor impacts to bicycle and pedestrian access will be required. Access to transit stops will be maintained throughout construction.
For inquiries or to receive project and construction updates please email the project team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of the project, two dilapidated buildings at the corner of Parker Road and Iliff Avenue were demolished in the first week of November 2021. This property, which included the old Barn Store, was purchased by the County in December of 2020 for $1.76M to make improvements to corridor. Check out pictures of the demolition.
A Corridor Study was completed in February 2015 for the Iliff Avenue Corridor between Quebec Street and Parker Road. This study evaluated and identified improvements to transportation system mobility, safety, and reliability along the corridor. Water quality enhancements and storm water conveyance needs associated with the roadway infrastructure improvements were also evaluated and recommended.
Following the Corridor Study, Arapahoe County secured Federal funding for the design and construction of the recommended operational improvements along the corridor, some of which include:
- Four-lane Iliff Avenue corridor with acceleration/deceleration lanes
- Intersection modification
- Bike lanes and sidewalks between Rosemary Street and Dayton Way; multiuse path at east and west ends of corridor
- Transit stop enhancements
- Sidewalk/multi-use paths/crosswalk improvements
- Transit supportive programs
- Traffic signal progression optimization
- Signal detection/video monitoring
- Signal communication/equipment upgrades
For more details regarding the plans, see the list of corridor improvements.
Project History & Schedule
- Beginning of design phase: May 2016
- Data gathering: Spring/Summer 2016
- Preliminary design: Summer/Fall 2016
- Final design and environmental clearance: 2017-2018
- Right-of-Way Plans and Acquisitions: 2019-2021
- Construction: July 2021 to late Spring 2023
Submit Comments and Questions
We appreciate your interest in the Iliff Avenue Corridor Construction Project. Comments and questions are welcome at any time and can be submitted to: