Proposed Code Amendments
The County is pursuing an update to the Land Development Code (LDC) to include updated regulations on Billboards. The current regulations do not clearly provide definitions or outline the process by which applications are reviewed and approved. Arapahoe County is proposing an amendment to the LDC which would include new language and requirements that amend the provision for billboards and other off-premise signs in Unincorporated Arapahoe County, including the conversion of any existing billboard or other off-premise sign to an Electronic Message Center (EMC).
If approved, the new regulations will:
- Prohibit new billboards
- Prohibit establishing billboards through a PUD process
- Prohibit conversion of existing billboards to EMCs
- Continue to recognize existing billboards as nonconforming, subject to nonconforming provisions of the code (allows maintenance of the existing sign and structure)
- Clarify that freestanding signs under 48 square feet are not billboards
- Prohibit freestanding signs as the primary use of any property
- Reduce the dwell time for EMCs from five minutes to one minute
- Add definitions for interior sign, electronic message center, permanent freestanding sign, and structure, sign
- Revise definitions for sign, billboards, flashing signs and temporary signs
Documents and Contact Information
Draft regulations were sent out for external referral on November 20, 2020. The public is invited to view the draft documents below and provide written comment to Kat Hammer, Planner II, prior to December 21, 2020.
The Planning Commission is scheduled to review the draft regulations at a public hearing on December 1, 2020. The Board of County Commissioners is scheduled to review the draft regulations and make decision at a public hearing on January 5, 2021. Agendas for both of these public hearings can be found here closer to the meeting dates: