Mission, Vision and Values
Enhancing your quality of life through exceptional delivery of services and efficient use of public funds.
A diverse and vibrant County where residents and businesses thrive.
Goals and Specific Outcomes
Be Fiscally Sustainable
- Fund mandated services to meet best practices and required standards
- Consider strategic use of debt
- Ensure structurally balanced budgets
- Strive for efficiencies
Provide Essential and Mandated Services
- Perform as stipulated in statutes and regulations
- Remain responsive to community interests
Be Community Focused
- Promote thriving communities
- Foster personal safety and security
- Nurture individual and collective opportunities
- Provide a healthy natural environment
- Support opportunities for physical health and mental health
Primary criteria/guiding principles:
- Support economic vibrancy
- Protect community quality/well-being
- Consider holistic and long-term financial implications in decision-making processes
- Be data centric in identifying needs the County can address
- Hire, develop and retain employees to enhance their growth and opportunities
- Employees understand their vital role in achieving the success of County outcomes
Additional criteria/guiding principles:
- Understand and respond to what our community values
- Preserve our reputation and credibility
- Develop and preserve a culture of inclusion and connectedness
We demonstrate accountability by:
- Building trust with community through our decisions and actions
- Holding ourselves to established clear standards, processes, and procedures
- Adhering to a high standard of integrity
- Sharing data and information to demonstrate fiscal responsibility, community responsiveness, and progress on County’s strategic plan
We demonstrate accessibility by:
- Providing services in multiple ways
- Seeking and understanding community interests using a variety of approaches
- Making it easy to contact and connect with the right elected official and staff members
- Being timely in responding to community interests
- Providing facility access to people with differing abilities
We demonstrate inclusivity by:
- Engaging community and cultural perspectives in decision-making
- Striving for cross-county, cross-cultural representation on advisory boards, committees, task forces
- Demonstrating inclusivity in our recruitment, development, and opportunities for advancement
- Ensuring a welcoming, safe, and respectful environment by reflecting the diversity of Arapahoe County
We demonstrate integrity by:
- Doing what we say we will
- Following up, being responsive
- Sharing both the good and the bad
- Willing to admit/own when there is a problem
- Adhering to the County Code of Ethics
Strategic Plan Accomplishments
Guided by the strategic plan, Arapahoe County has been able to:
- Maintain a structurally balanced budget in a landscape of limited revenue growth and new service and programmatic requirements.
- Deliver a variety of high-quality services in the most efficient manner possible.
- Establish a new health department throughout 2022, balancing fiscal sustainability and using residents’ input to protect community well-being.
- Develop a diversity, equity and inclusion framework and action items to ensure that Arapahoe County remains an accessible environment for residents and employees.
- Allocate nearly $120 million of American Rescue Plan Act funds to promote a full COVID-19 recovery, including business recovery grants to promote economic vibrancy, supporting organizations that provide physical and mental health services for residents, and investing in critical infrastructure to promote thriving communities.
- Secure voter approval of permanent, dedicated open spaces funding to preserve natural space and improve parks, trails and recreation facilities.
- Establish a regional homelessness committee to coordinate response efforts across municipalities within the county.
- Coordinate and implement a regional opioid council to distribute approximately $25 million of opioid abatement funds to support a community-wide response to the opioid crisis.
- Update the Arapahoe County Land Development Code to increase housing affordability and position the county to access state affordable housing grants in the future.
- Leverage one-time funds to address critical medical and operational needs at the detention center, providing more time for the county to secure a voter approved funding solution to address the pressures facing an aging and insufficient detention center.
- Adopt the 2040 Transportation Master Plan, using extensive public input to determine and plan for the county’s most critical infrastructure improvements.
- Begin planning for the 18th Judicial District transition and assume sole operation in a fiscally sustainable manner.