A VIN verification is required before registering a vehicle in Arapahoe County when the vehicle:
- has an out-of-state title,
- was purchased outside of Colorado,
- was transferred on a Purged Bill of Sale, or
- requires a correction to the description on the title.
- Arapahoe County is only performing VIN Verifications as part of an existing “Title Transfer” appointment, and will not perform VIN Verifications without an accompanying appointment/transaction.
- Restrictions on VIN Verifications are as follows:
- Staff and the Customer must maintain 6 feet of distance during the verification.
- Staff and the Customer must wear masks during the verification. Staff must also wear gloves
- VIN numbers will be verified on the dashboard only. If the number cannot be verified from outside the vehicle, the vehicle must be taken to an offsite location to be verified.
- VIN Verifications performed by the County Motor Vehicle office will be limited to days where there is not rain/snow occurring outside.
- VIN Verifications will only be performed on standard 2-axle passenger vehicles.
- This does not include motorcycles, mobile homes, or vehicles that have been otherwise modified so that the dash VIN is illegible or inaccurate.
You can get a VIN verification completed at any Emissions Testing location, Colorado dealership, or by contacting your local law enforcement agency.
A VIN verification is not the same as a Certified VIN Inspection. In some cases, a Certified VIN Inspection is required. For more information, please visit the Colorado State Patrol VIN Inspection web page. If you are not sure if your vehicle requires a certified VIN inspection, please contact us at (303) 795-4500.