Public Trustee

The Public Trustee Office will acknowledge receipt of email sent to the Public Trustee Office. If you do not receive a response, the Public Trustee did not receive your email.


The Public Trustee handles foreclosures of deeds of trust, releases of deeds of trust and tax escrow accounts for land purchase contracts for properties located in Arapahoe County.

The Office of the Public Trustee is fully funded by fees collected for services provided. Any such funds received in excess of operating expenses are turned over to the Arapahoe County general fund, after ensuring the maintenance of an operational reserve, as required by law.

Appointment of the Trustee

The Public Trustee is appointed by the Governor of the State of Colorado for a term concurrent with the Governor.

The powers, duties and procedures for the operation of the office are defined in Title 38 of the Colorado Revised Statutes.

The Public Trustee Does Not:

  • Give legal advice – please contact an attorney.
  • Handle Tax Sales - please contact the County Treasurer
  • Handle Judicial Foreclosures - please contact the Sheriff 720-874-3845
  • Release private trustee mortgage transactions
  • Handle federal auctions, such as HUD or VA
  • Have information regarding liens on foreclosed property – Please contact the Clerk and Recorder
  • Have access to the foreclosed property
  • Process evictions - please contact the Sheriff 720-874-3845

Foreclosure Sales

The Arapahoe County Public Trustee holds foreclosure sales 10 a.m. Wednesdays in:
County Administration Building East Hearing Room
5334 South Prince St.
Littleton, CO

Notice to an Owner in Foreclosure

Prohibition of Dual Tracking

If you, as the borrower, believe that a lender or servicer has failed to provide you with a single point of contact, as required by Colorado law (C.R.S. §38-38-103.1) or that the lender is pursuing foreclosure despite the fact that you submitted a completed loss mitigation, or you have been offered and accepted a loss mitigation option, pursuant to C.R.S. §38-38-103.2, you may file a complaint with the Colorado Attorney General, the Federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), or both. The filing of a complaint will not stop the foreclosure process.

Colorado Attorney General

Ralph L. Carr Colorado Judicial Center
1300 Broadway, 10th Floor
Denver, CO 80203
Colorado Attorney General website

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

PO Box 4503
Iowa City, Iowa 52244
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau website

Overbid Funds

If your property goes to foreclosure auction sale and is sold for more than the total owed to the lender and to all other lien holders, you may be entitled to any remaining funds. C.R.S. 38-38-111 (2.5)(a) Please call our office at (303) 730-0071 to find out if you are entitled to any remaining funds. If you contact us directly, there is no cost to you to claim any excess funds owed to you.

Transfer of Ownership

Ownership of the property does not transfer until at least 8 business days after the actual foreclosure sale, which may occur at a date later than the initial sale date indicated on the mailed notice you received from this office.

Arapahoe County Public Trustee Open Records Fee Policy

The Arapahoe County Public Trustee may charge for research and retrieval time necessary to respond to requests for records under the Colorado Open Records Act (“CORA”) in order to pay for the cost of staff and custodians of public records. Pursuant to C.R.S. §24-72-205(6), effective July 1, 2014, staff time may be charged at a rate not to exceed $30.00 per hour. There shall be no charge for the first hour of time for research and retrieval of records.

When a record custodian receives a CORA request, the custodian may estimate the research and retrieval time it will take to research and retrieve the records requested. The estimate of time and the appropriate fee may be provided to the requester before work is performed, to determine if the requester seeks to move forward with his/her request, understanding the associated cost. The custodian may require the requester to pay the fee before proceeding to research and retrieve the records. If the requester pays the fee based on the estimate and the time necessary to subsequently perform the research and retrieval of the records is less than the estimate, the custodian shall give a refund to the requester.