Sheriff David C. Walcher
David C. Walcher was appointed Sheriff of Arapahoe County by the Arapahoe County Board of County Commissioners, effective February 1, 2014. Dave was elected Sheriff by the citizens of Arapahoe County to serve 2015 into 2019.
As Sheriff, Dave has the responsibility for the overall operation of the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office and the 700+ members who are proud to serve the community. As a full-service sheriff’s office, the major functions and operating components include patrol, detentions, investigations, dispatch, budget, emergency management, human resources and professional standards.
Dave began his career in law enforcement in 1981 as a civilian working for the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). In 1988, Dave became a deputy for the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office. After a diverse and very successful 22-year career with the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, Dave retired and began his new career with the Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation – Feb. 1981 to Feb. 1988
- Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office – Feb. 1988 to Dec. 2009 (Retired)
- Ranks: Deputy, Sergeant, Lieutenant, Captain, Division Chief
- Special Assignments: SWAT, SORT, Academy Instructor, CALEA Assessor
- Areas of Experience and Command: Patrol, Detentions, Investigations, Recruiting, Training, Accreditation, Support Services
- Special Assignment: Incident Commander – Columbine High School shooting
- Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office – Dec. 2009 to Present
- Positions: Sheriff, Undersheriff, Bureau Chief
- Areas of Experience and Command: Patrol, Detentions, Investigations, Dispatch, Budget & Logistics, Emergency Management and Professional Standards.
- University of Colorado Denver – Part-time Faculty Member
- Lecturer for School of Public Affairs, Criminal Justice Program
- Undergraduate and Graduate Courses
Dave is also Co-Chair of the State of Colorado Correctional Treatment Board, Chair of the Highlands Ranch Law Enforcement Training Foundation (Facility), on the Board of Directors for the Aurora Mental Health Center and the Asian Pacific Development Center, and is on the Board of the Arapahoe County Justice Coordinating Committee. Sheriff Walcher is also a member of the County Sheriffs of Colorado, National Sheriff’s Association, Major County Sheriffs of America, Colorado Association of Chiefs of Police and the International Association of Chiefs of Police.
- Bachelor of Science Degree, Accounting – Metropolitan State College of Denver
- Master of Criminal Justice Degree – University of Colorado Denver
- Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command Graduate –Class President
- University of Denver Daniels College of Business – Public Safety Leadership Program
- FBI Law Enforcement Executive Development Seminar, Quantico, Va.
Dave’s personal interests include various outdoor activities: golfing, boating and water sports, riding ATVs, hiking, bicycling, and classic vehicles. He is married with no children; however, with his wife’s family and his own, they have 21 nieces and nephews to enjoy.